It is rare that I download apps to my phone, unless they benefit my productivity (I promise I am not a boring guy. I just have enough distractions in life). You will not find Angry Birds on my phone, nor will you find Snapchat. Instead, you will find the likes of Skyscanner, BlackBerry Travel, T-Mobile's Wi-Fi Calling, and NPR News (okay, this one doesn't increase productivity, but much like the Indian buffet I enjoy so much, it makes me well-rounded).
With these drawbacks in mind, here is where the utility of Lenovo's latest app, ShareIT, really shines, as indicated by Lenovo:
The world's fastest way to share photos, apps and more across devices… without network charges or Wi-Fi connection.
Lenovo SHAREit eliminates the need for cables to wirelessly transfer information rapidly between devices – either with friends, or to take your personal content on the go.
- Share everything with other devices – pictures, videos, music files, documents, contacts… even apps(Android only)!
- Devices with SHAREit can automatically find each other when in range.
- Transfer HUGE files and videos in seconds… up to 60x faster than Bluetooth®.
- Share without the need for Bluetooth, phone network or active Wi-Fi network… you don't pay a cent for network charges. Devices wirelessly connect directly.
- Even the app itself can be shared to other devices wirelessly, and rapid sharing can begin immediately.
My friend Virginia and I recently tried out the app to exchange photos from South Africa from her Samsung Galaxy III to my Lenovo ThinkPad T420s. The interface was simple, 70 MB files took seconds to exchange, and best of all, we didn't need BlueTooth/USB cables/an active Internet connection/data plans (oh, and it was free!) Now, I know. I'm a Lenovo fanboy but currently it has a rating of 4.5/5 stars on Google Play. But if you still don't trust 195,000 other users, give it a try for yourself--for free--right here.